CELEBRATING 50 YEARS OF UNICYCLING IN PUERTO RICO
Come and share with us this great celebration of 50 years of unicycling history in Puerto Rico.
HOW IT STARTED?
- Unicycling in Puerto Rico has its roots in the northwestern town of Isabela. It was there that Mr. Francisco "Paco" Dumeng, a prominent athlete of Isabela, National and Caribbean boxing champion and promoter of many other sports began to promote unicycling among young people of the town. Then, by 1969, the Unicycling Club of Isabela was founded. This becomes the first organized group of riders in Puerto Rico. A short time later, Mr. Dumeng began organizing 5 kilometer races and unicycle basketball games. From the beginning Mr. Dumeng dedicated himself to continue promoting the sport of unicycling throughout the western part of the island and thus managed to organize teams of unicyclists in several towns. Over time more groups of unicyclists were established in other towns such as Aguada, Añasco, Aguadilla, San Sebastian, Toa Baja, Rio Grande and Río Piedras. He also continues organizing basketball events and tournaments to help with the promotion of this sport throughout the island.
- Since its beginnings in 1969, the Puerto Rican unicyclists have shown great talent in the practice of this sport and its different disciplines. We have earned hundreds of medals and world championships on events like Freestyle (individual, pairs, groups), Standard Skills, Compulsory, 10K, marathon, racing (100m, 400m, 1,500m, wheel walk, one foot, slow race, relays) among others. There is more info on Wikipedia and uniciclos.com.
- Where they have stood out the most was in unicycling basketball. It was in 1984 that the “Puerto Rico All-Stars Unicycling Basketball Team” participated in the first International Unicycling Convention (Unicon I) and they won their first unicycling basketball championship. From there the team has won 10 world championships! (UNICONs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 11, 12 & 14)
- 50 years later we want all the unicyclists of the world to come to Puerto Rico and celebrate with us with games, music and parties!!!!
- More about the history of unicycling in Puerto Rico...
Come and discover Puerto Rico!
* No passport is required for U.S. Citizens.